Wednesday, January 18, 2006

MSN Search Rocks!

First time, ever since the day I saw the super-cool desktop of Windows XP, I have fallen in love all over again with a Microsoft product-MSN desktop search-I tried it twice before (Beta versions) and they sucked big time, slowing down my machine and every search taking longer than a manual search. But the latest version just rocks-I have indexed the whole of my hard disk (80 GB) and my email and still it is able to search stuff in seconds-almost akin to a web-search.
The link for downloading it is here. However remember that patience is a virtue, just hold on till it completes indexing your stuff before expecting results.

4 comments:

  1. You didnt tell us about how much space does indexing occupy for a 80GB harddisk.
    I found Google's desktop search to be pathetic on this regard. Not sure how good/bad is MSN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My index has a size of 1.05 GB. This will depend on the number of directories/files you have-if you have like 4 video files each of 1GB in a drive its index would be much smaller than something like 200 files spread in 50 directories.

    One really useful feature I liked (and found out pretty late) was the option to index whatever you want-if you do not want to index a particular drive (in my case a 250 GB hard-disk containing source code:) you can disable that and the indexing would be faster and the index smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, i was just reading a book called; love, sex and gender in the world's religions. An article i wish to quote within it was written by someone called; Arvind Sharma, i searched the name (ironically in MSN search!) and a link to your blogger profile was the first hit. Please can you tell me, was it you who wrote the chapter in this book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Freak: Sorry dude, I am not the guy you are looking for. While egosurfing, I have seen one professor in McGill University of religions by the name Arvind Sharma. You might want to check that.

    ReplyDelete