Tuesday, May 10, 2005

One Memorable incident-Redmond Continued..

This was a mail I wrote to my cousin when I was in Redmond about one unforgettable incident...
We went to Mt.Reinier (about 3 hours drive from here) on Sunday and it turned out to be an unforgettable day in many respects. We reached a point 5400 feet high in car and climbed for 2 hours to reach a point 7200 feet high!!! There was almost noone there and we had snow all around. We were so close to the peak. We played there for almost an hour. It was the best adventure I ever had.

Finally at 8.30 we decided we need to go back and started the descent. It took almost an hour and finally when we reached the car all exhausted and drained, I found that I had left the headlights on and the battery had completely drained!!! Then we found that the visitor's
office and all such places were closed as it was sunday night!! Finally there was a hotel there and we went into that and made a call to the Emergency services of the rental agency (Avis) and they arrived in about 2 hours and we waited patiently.

I should say Mt.Reinier is quite a sight in the night with the clear sky and countless stars in the background (though the temperature must have been around 10 degrees or lesser). Infact we took a few pictures of our incredible car with the night sky in the background!! The mechanic finally managed to jump-started the car. Finally we started at 11pm and bingo!! we didnt know the proper route back as the maps we had taken had some road named incorrectly.Also since I didnt want to risk a half-filled tank, we stopped at a petrol bunk and my friend went and filled the fuel. Then just before we left I noticed the name on the fuel station and it was written-DIESEL FUEL. I was totally dismayed.

We kept driving hoping that the diesel part would not enter the engine until we reached home. Finally in the darkness of the night (with occasional bursts of fog) we finally managed to get back through three freeways and reached home by 1.30am.

It was an unforgettable day in many respects and now, I am more confident of my driving than I have ever been in my life!!!

Yours,
Arvind Sharma.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know much abt vehicles.
    We kept driving hoping that the diesel part would not enter the engine until we reached home.
    But would like to know more abt this.

    ReplyDelete